This year I had a free weekend that coincided with Oktoberfisch, an event I have wanted to attend for several years.
Being a first time attendee, I offer you my top 10 lessons learned.
(1) Don’t load kayaks on your truck while wearing flip flops. Big toes and running boards do not like one another. Don’t ask how I know this, just trust me.
(2) Don’t catch the last kayak shuttle of the day and try to do a 4 mile float if you also want to fish.
(3) Bring a spare rod. Yes, breakage happens
(4) Bring more than 1 Llanolope fly
(5) Gym fit is not the same as river fit
(6) Aleve is your friend (see #5)
(7) Your kayak can float faster than you can run in the shallow riffles (see #5 and #6)
(7) Bring cash to tip your shuttle driver generously – she is worth it at the end of a long paddle
(8) Junction is a modern day Mayberry. The locals we met were exceedingly friendly salt of the earth types.
(9) Eat at Lums BBQ
(10) The Fredericksburg Fly Fishers have a really good thing going here.. I definitely plan to return